Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Are you a recently released prisoner thinking about going to school? We weigh the pros and cons!

So you’re finally under a year or maybe you have a little longer. You are seriously considering your future. Will you opt for a trade? Maybe even go to college. I’m here to tell you, you can! I should know because once I sat exactly where you are-incarcerated. I worried and pondered my situation while at Graham Correctional Center. One thing I knew, however, is that to get ahead in today’s society and live a productive, jail-free life I needed an education. There was one problem-I had a drug conviction. Which meant that obtaining financial aid could be a problem. Current federal law states, “As long as you are not convicted during the school term you are in fact eligible." You may still be able to obtain Financial Aid provided you meet the qualifications. I now have a Bachelors degree in Business Management from Robert Morris. Regardless of your background, it is much harder for an employer to deny you employment with a college degree. However, the con going to school is that it takes time, focus and dedication. Do you have what it takes? If you have the patience to make it thru your incarceration-you mostly likely have what it takes to make it thru school. Another pro to going to school is how you’ll feel about yourself, as well as family member and friends (real friends that want better for you). I cannot tell you the feeling of walking across the stage with my mom, step-dad, grandmothers and aunt watching. Suddenly, going to prison was not a waste of time, it probably saved my life. Another pro and this I can guarantee-you will meet new friends- Life long friends that are trying to better themselves which is exactly the kind of people we all need to be around. Consider your future and take hold of it- Till next time, I’m out.

http://www.blacktrump4life.com

No comments: